McPherson College Miller Library

This library blog will keep you up-to-date on what's happening in Miller Library.

Name:
Location: McPherson, Kansas, United States

Thursday, March 29, 2007

More Books

Here are a couple more faculty responses to the books you couldn't live without.
Ocie Kilgus writes:
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
This is an overwhelmingly heart-wrenching story of friendship, hope, and loneliness about those individuals who are often overlooked in our society. This book makes me want to be a kinder person.

Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire
I love the analysis of social oppression and the tone and urgency of this call-to-arms book.

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
I read this dystopian novel as an undergraduate. At that time I was amazed at Atwood’s assertions regarding the direction in which she thought women’s rights were headed. Now in 2007, it’s not amazing anymore; it’s just scary to think that some of the situations that she described are unfolding before our eyes.

Babbit by Sinclair Lewis
I love his funny and sarcastic dry wit about our society’s ambitions, narrow outlook, questionable intelligence, and lack of culture. Not recommended for the staunch believer in the supremacy of U.S. culture!

Big Beverage by William T. Campbell
I analyzed this book for my dissertation, and I was so happy that I could examine a Lewis-like novel. Campbell pokes fun at the men behind the Coca-Cola industry and its good-old-boy network of running a business. It’s a hoot!

Jeanne Smith shares "most of these books were formataive ones for me in some way":
The Bible (New Revised Standard)
Norton Victorian Literature textbook (especially the poetry)
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Early Christians After the Death of the Apostles by Eberhard Arnold
Storyteller's Beads by Jane Kurtz (This is a children's book, but it is written so beautifully)
My Experiments with Truth by Mohandas Gandhi
Mother Teresa by Navin Chawla
Dr. Schweitzer of Lambarene by Norman Cousins
Writing to Learn by Donald Murray
Green Mansions by William Henry Hudson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home